Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Grad School

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gcdevil22's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2004
    Posts
    5,129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Grad School

    I'm looking to go to grad school in the fall of '08 and i've narrowed my list down a little bit but i'm still gonna take a look at some other schools further west to see if it's worth going out there....anyway, my criteria for choosing the school is as follows:

    1. Stability of the men's bball staff
    2. How well the coach runs their program
    3. How good the Communications Department is
    4. more rural environment than urban
    5. not much of a factor, but proximity to home

    I'm looking to get a Graduate Assistant job with basketball wherever I decide to go so one other thing that will limit me is the contact I have with the coaching staff in place, of those on my list now I either know someone personally on the staff or someone on the VT staff knows them personally so that will be weighed in my decision

    i guess what my question is, does anyone know anything about my list of schools and their Communications Department, I already know about VT and Syracuse and their Comm stuff, but I'm looking to get some info on others...any help is appreciated


    my list so far:

    VT
    Radford
    Michigan State
    Syracuse
    South Carolina
    Southern Illinois
    Bucknell
    ETSU
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    Just my opinion but if thats your goal and I was you I would stay at VT, already knowing the coaching staff and being comfortable with the school would be my deciding factor. Since were talking Grad Schools, anybody got any great ideas for law school? Yes this gambling redneck from Big Stone is going to try and go.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gcdevil22's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2004
    Posts
    5,129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    the only problem is that VT is keeping Chris Tucker, a player on last year's team, as a Grad Asst. for this coming year so he can graduate...i don't know how long he is planning on staying and if he will be doing grad school work at VT or somewhere else

    i would love to stay at VT, i love the place and you can't ask for a better area...but they only have so many spots, and maybe it'd be a good idea to learn some different basketball philosophies so i could shape what i wanna do when the time comes
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    I know nothing about the communications program at the respective schools. Going on basketball alone, style of play would mean a lot to me. You talk of stability, well to me that would knock the mid-majors down on the list due to the fact that if the team advances in the NCAA Tournament the coach is probably gone. Out of what you've got on your list, I'd go to Southern Ill. just based on the fact I hate the style of play in the Big Ten/Big East. I'm also not a big fan of Dave Odom's (ruling out South Carolina). I'd also have to think that SIU would have to me more rural than Syracuse/Michigan ST (I've never been to either school). Of course Radford would also be a nice choice due to the proximity to VT.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    Why not UT man? You could learn how to style a creamsicle suit from the great Pearl!
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gcdevil22's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2004
    Posts
    5,129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    Dave Odom at So. Carolina would be good b/c his son Ryan is an assistant at VT...i love the way SIU plays, and i know an assistant at Bucknell

    Radford made the list b/c Brad Greenberg and Rick Hall are there now who were both on VT's staff for the last 3 yrs...finally, Michigan State coach Tom Izzo is a very good friend of coach Greenberg and i really like the teams he puts on the floor
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    Hey,DD, have you tried to get in at the Appalachian School of Law. Your neighbor, Lonnie could probably help you with particulars of the school. Check it out, it might be worth looking into.

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Grad School

    Based on Basketball alone I would choose Michigan State.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Grad School

    I've looked into it, not a lot though. I've still got two more years of undergrad.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •